United Arab Emirates (UAE) residents, especially commuters, have something to celebrate.
It is none other than the Hafilat card available to the residents of Abu Dhabi.
It is one of the initiatives by the Department of Transport to ensure that paying public transport fares is easy. It also eliminates the need to carry cash around.
Whereas it was initiated about a decade ago, in 2015, some people don’t know much about the card.
For instance, how do you check your Hafilat card balance?
If you have no idea, this piece is a must-read. It guides you on how to proceed and teaches much about the card. Read on!
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Check Hafilat Card Balance
The process of checking the Hafilat card balance is fast and straightforward. Follow the following steps to do it.
- Visit the official website using this link
- Navigate to the tab labeled Recharge, available on the right side of the platform
- Enter the Hafilat card number and ensure that it matches what’s on the back of your card
- Click on the “OK” button upon confirming
- The next page shows you the various details, including your Hafilat card balance
How to Recharge Your Hafilat Card Balance
If you don’t like the balance displayed after following the previous procedure, you can increase the amount by lading your card. Here’s a procedure on how to recharge your Hafilat card balance.
- Visit the Hafilat services official website
- Expect 4 major segments, register, pay fines, and recharge
- Ignore the other 3 and click on Recharge
- Key in your Hafilat card serial number, usually at the back. No need to enter the 01 digits since the system pre-fills them automatically
- Ensure that there’s a green check mark once you enter the serial number
- Click “OK,” and don’t give up if an error occurs. On the contrary, enter the numbers again. This time around, enter even the 01 digits automatically before pressing OK for a second time
- You will also see your balance at this juncture. Go for the recharge option and choose the amount you wish to top up from the various amount
- Your basket is visible from the right corner at the top
- Alternatively, go to view history to see your recharge history
- Upon choosing an amount, it will reflect on the right side
- At the bottom of its left corner, click on continue my purchase
- Upon clicking, you will be redirected to the payment page
- Enter the details of your Hafilat card
- Expect various verification processes, such as OTP, that your bank uses as a security feature for online processes. Feel free to use a Master Card or its VISA counterpart
- Expect notifications following a successful recharge, usually in an SMS and an Email. One also receives an order number.
How Much Do You Pay When Using a Hafilat Card?
That’s a fair question since it tells you whether the card balance is okay. If not, it gives you an idea of the ideal recharge amount.
The cost depends on the trips, and here’s a summary;
- Traveling inside the city, also known as local trips, cost you AED 2
- Traveling to the suburbs, also known as regional trips, cost you AED 2 and an additional AED 0.05 for every kilometer
- As for inter-city trips, the cost is AED 2 and an additional AED 0.1 for every kilometer
Types of Hafilat Cards
There are various types of Hafilat cards, including the following;
Personalized Hafilat Card
The personalized Hafilat cards must contain the customers’ ID numbers and names. Its cost is only AED 5.
If you want to buy one, visit Abu Dhabi’s Customer Happiness Centres. It has several recharging options, which are as follows;
- Hafilat Ticket Machines.
- Online via the Hafilat Website, Darb website, or Darbi app
- Public Transport
- Recharge devices you will find in intercity buses
- Ticket Vending Machines (TVM)
The validity period of a personalized Hafilat card is 5 years.
It is available for students, people with special needs, and seniors. Its validity period is 5 years, and its cost is only AED 5.
Contactless Smart Ticket (CST)
Unlike its counterparts, this type of Hafilat card is temporal. Its validity period is short since it is only valid for 30 days.
You won’t incur any cost to acquire this card. However, with the card, you must credit it to pay for public transport services.
Anonymous Hafilat Card
It is a Hafilat card that anyone can purchase. Its cost is only AED 10.
If you want to buy one, go for the Ticket Vending Machines (TVM) in Abu Dhabi. You can also visit any Lulu Hypermarket branch in Dhafra, Al Ain, and Abu Dhabi.
You can recharge your anonymous card online via the Darb or Hafilat sites. Other recharging options include the Hafilat Ticket Machines, public transport, and TVM.
The validity period of an anonymous Hafilat card is 5 years.
How to Contact Abu Dhabi Hafilat Card Customer Support
The staff members are ready to assist you accordingly, regardless of what you want to enquire from Hafilat card customer support. You can reach them through various channels, including the following;
- Email: [email protected]
- Fax: 0097125502155
- Official website: https://hafilat.darb.ae/
- Phone: 0097125507472
Do not hesitate to contact customer service whenever a need arises. The people are quick to help, and the assistance is usually valuable.
How to Report a Lost Hafilat Card and Replacing it With a New One
Unfortunately, even if you lose your Hafilat card, you must replace it. The same applies to a damaged card.
Report the loss or damage to a ticket office at a bus station. That’s all you need to do to get your card’s replacement.
However, whether your old balance will be restored depends on your card type. Only an owner of a personalized card will get the old balance back.
That’s understandable since one can’t tell the owner of its anonymous counterparts.